English Language Development (ELD) Standards & Instructional Resources
Purpose & Introduction
The purpose of this webpage is to provide important information and links to resources that support educators in providing equitable instruction and services to ELs across VA divisions totaling over 105,000, who speak over 240 languages.
Divisions across Virginia serve a diverse population of students from different language, learning, and cultural backgrounds. These students bring a unique set of assets that have the potential to enrich the experiences of all learners and educators.
The Virginia Department of Education works for the embodiment of an asset-based approach to educating ELs.
- WIDA English Language Development Standards
- ELP Performance Definitions-This is a PDF document.
- Virginia Standards of Learning
Resources for Teachers
- TeacherDirect – Stay informed about new instructional resources, professional development and grant opportunities and other information of interest to teachers and their students.
- WIDA – For resources and materials related to ELD Standards. Includes online training modules, videos of language instruction, rubrics for speaking and writing, and an Essential Actions Handbook.
- Colorin Colorado – A bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners. Includes resources on a variety of topics.
- Resources for Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas
- EL Toolkit – Resource from the USED that includes tools and resources for working with ELs
- Newcomer Toolkit-This is a PDF document. – Report from the US ED to support educators who work with newcomer ELs
- Teaching Channel – View a variety of videos and resources that feature strategies for working with ELs (Note: Search ELLs) as a start)
- TESOL’6 6 Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Learners
Professional Organizations (for additional resources)
- Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA)
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Virginia ESL Supervisors' Association (VESA)
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA)
Teacher Preparation and Licensure
- Add an ESL endorsement to an existing Virginia Teaching License by taking the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages Test
- Obtain Initial Teaching Licensure or Earn a degree with a focus on TESOL
- Credit for High School ESL Courses-This is a Word document.
- Seal of Biliteracy
- Dear Colleague Letter for ELs-This is a PDF document.
- Dual Language Programs within the World Language Department
- Title III: Language Instruction For English Learners & Immigrant Students – information and links to important Virginia and Federal Guidance.
- Virginia English Language Proficiency Assessments – information and links to information about ACCESS for ELLs, and other tests used in VA to measure language progress and proficiency