VDOE is responsible for approving driver education programs in the commonwealth’s public and private schools. Driver education programs in Virginia schools focus on safe driving attitudes, skill development and appropriate responses to hazards. The commonwealth’s standards for driver education require extended supervised practice with a licensed parent or guardian to develop precision in the application of skills and processes to effectively manage risks.
- Curriculum and Administrative Guide for Driver Education in Virginia – As required by §22.1-205 of the Code of Virginia, the Virginia Board of Education has established a standardized program of driver education fro public, private, and commercial schools. The Driver Education Standards of Learning for Driver Education in Virginia prescribe the content and administrative requirements of a state-approved driver education program.
- Certificate of Enrollment Form (Word)
45 Hour Parent/Teen Driving Guide (PDF)
- Juvenile Licensing Process (Word)
- Parent/Guardian Form Granting the School Permission to Issue Their Child a 180-Day Provisional Driver's License (PDF)
- Buckle Up Challenge-This is a PUB document.
- Road Skills Evaluation (PDF)
- Certification of In-Car Instruction (PDF)
- Underage Drinking Prevention
Application Process for Online Driver Education Courses
- Online Provider Application Process for Driver Education Correspondence Courses and Driver Training School Computer-Based Classroom Driver Education Programs
Annual reports on the number of reportable crashes experienced by graduates of Virginia driver-education programs within 12 months of receiving a driver’s license:
- 2015-16 Crash Statistics-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- 2014-15 Crash Statistics (PDF)
- 2013-14 Crash Statistics (PDF)
- 2012-13 Crash Statistics (PDF)
- 2011-12 Crash Statistics (PDF)
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- Virginia State Police - PSA - Move Over /Slow Down Its The Law
- Virginia Association of Driver Education and Traffic Safety (VADETS)
- American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association (ADTSEA)