The Virginia Department of Education maintains this website to provide the public with readily available information related to the department and statewide educational programs and Virginia's elementary and secondary schools. Users are welcome to download material displayed on this site for non-commercial purposes only, provided they retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the materials. The contents of this site may not be used for commercial purposes, without the written permission of the Virginia Department of Education.
Some of the resources on this site were developed and contributed by educators and others outside the Virginia Department of Education. These materials are provided on this site as a courtesy to assist educators in sharing resources; any information borrowed from this website and incorporated into any educational program, materials or curriculum does not indicate that the Virginia Board of Education or the Virginia Department of Education was involved in the production of, has received has reviewed, or has endorsed the aforementioned educational program, materials or curriculum.
Pages on this site provide links to other sites that are not maintained by the Virginia Department of Education. These links are provided as a convenience for persons who visit our website. The Virginia Department of Education is not responsible for the contents of any off-site pages or any other sites linked from this site; therefore, the department does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, usefulness, or adequacy of any resources, information, products, or process contained in any website linked directly or indirectly to our site.
Virginia Department of Education staff do not give legal advice, or interpret the law for members of the public. Information is provided as a service and is not intended as a substitute for the advice of legal counsel.
Finally, any communication or material transmitted to this site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, non-confidential.
The department collects only the minimum amount of information needed to provide services. If you do nothing during your visit to the Virginia Department of Education website but browse or download information, we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain and IP address from which you accessed our site;
- The type of browser and operating system you used;
- The date and time you visited this site;
- The pages visited; and
- If you arrived from another website, the address of that website.
The information collected is used to improve the content of our Web services and to help us understand how people are using our pages. The information in our web logs is not personally identifiable, and no attempt is made to link it with the individuals that browse our website.
If, during your visit to the VDOE website, you send us an email message, we will collect the email address and contents of the message, including audio, video and graphic information formats you send us. This may be to respond to you, to address issues you identify, to further improve our website or to forward your message to another agency for appropriate action.
We do collect personal information directly from individuals who volunteer to subscribe to our services, complete forms or participate in surveys. We only collect, retain and use personal information where we believe it is essential to administer our business and to provide products, services and other opportunities requested by our customers
How the Collected Information is Used
Your input is used to improve the content of our web services and to help us understand how people are using our pages. Routing information is used to send requested web pages to your computer for viewing. Transaction routing information is used primarily in a statistical summary format to assess content and server performance. We may share this summary information with our business partners when needed.
We may keep your information indefinitely, but we ordinarily delete routing information regularly after the web page is transmitted. However, on rare occasions when a “hacker” attempts to breach computer security, logs and any other relevant information in our possession may be shared with law enforcement agencies.
Optional information is retained in accordance with the records retention schedule at the Library of Virginia.
Under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any records in our possession at the time of a “Freedom of Information Request” might be subject to inspection by or disclosure to members of the public. However, identifiable personal information will be removed prior to such release in accordance with FOIA.
Restrictions on the Disclosure of Customer Information
We do not sell or rent our subscribers’ information to any outside company or organization. We do not reveal specific information about users or other personally identifiable data to unaffiliated third parties for their independent use, except if required to do so by FOIA or other law.
The Virginia Department of Education is committed to ensuring equal access to information on its website to all people with disabilities. At a minimum, this web site meets W3C’s Web Content and Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (WCAG) Level A and Federal Section 508 web standards while working towards WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance. For more information and resources, go to Website Accessibility.
The Virginia Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. The policy permits appropriate employment preferences for veterans and specifically prohibits discrimination against veterans. The following position has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the Department’s non-discrimination policies:
Director of Human Resources
Virginia Department of Education
P. O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120
For further information on Federal non-discrimination regulations, contact the Office for Civil Rights at OCR.DC@ed.gov or call 1-800-421-3481.
You may also view Governor Terry McAuliffe’s Executive Order 1 (EO-1, 2014) (PDF), which specifically prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. The policy permits appropriate employment preferences for veterans and specifically prohibits discrimination against veterans.
The following User Agreement governs the use of Virginia Department of Education’s (VDOE) social media sites. Please read this agreement carefully. If you use any part of VDOE’s social media sites, you agree to comply with the agreement.
By your use of VDOE’s social media sites, you agree to the following:
- Comments made by the public to these sites are reviewed by VDOE and may be deleted by VDOE if they violate the comment policy described here.
- Comments should be related to the posted topic of the agency’s social media page or post.
- You are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the host site. Information (photos, videos, etc.) you share with or post to official agency pages is also subject to the TOS of the host site and may be used by the owners of the host site for their own purposes.
- VDOE’s social media accounts are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person campaigning for election to a political office, or promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction, product or service.
- The use of obscene, threatening or harassing language is prohibited.
- Attacks against any person for any reason are prohibited.
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are prohibited.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others are prohibited.
- This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
Editing and Deletions
VDOE has the right to review, edit, move, or delete any information or material submitted to VDOE’s social media sites. VDOE reserves the right to block/ban visitors who repeatedly violate these terms of this agreement.
The following materials or information shall not be submitted to VDOE’s social media site and are subject to review, editing, moving, or deletion as stated above:
- Obscene or threatening language or hate speech based on race, gender, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Abusive, defamatory, or sexually explicit language or materials.
- Promotions of services, products or political organizations.
- Information of a personal or sensitive nature, including but not limited to phone numbers, email addresses, or postal addresses.
- Multiple successive off-topic posts by a single user.
- Repetitive posts copied and pasted by multiple users
- Posts or comments that advocate illegal activity.
- Infringement on copyrights or trademarks.
Requests for information
Communications made through VDOE social media outlets do not constitute a legal or official notice or comment. VDOE cannot respond to individual requests for information through VDOE’s social media sites. See the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Access to VDOE Information to make a request for information or records.
Copyright 2019 Virginia Department of Education, all text, photographs and images, except as noted.
Use of the above-stated material on this site requires permission from the Virginia Department of Education.